Harris County Hospital District warns of health risks from small batteries
Harris County Hospital District, 2525 Holly Hall, has released a warning to the public on the dangers of small button batteries.
Button or disc batteries, which may be present in toys, games and household devices, can cause extreme harm if swallowed by children.
According to a press release, Dr. Ivan Daniel, a pediatrician at Aldine Health Center said, "To a child, these small batteries may look like candy. If swallowed, they can trigger a storm of major medical complications, sometimes ending in death if not treated and removed in time."
Possible health consequences from the swallowed batteries include esophageal burns, fistulas and heavy metal poisoning.
Daniel also stated in the press release that "a child who was previously in good health and all of a sudden has pain swallowing, refuses to drink, drools, coughs, vomits or has chest pain, nausea, diarrhea, stomach pain or fever could raise the question of possible ingestion of a foreign body."
Parents who suspect that their child swallowed a button battery should contact the National Battery Ingestion Hotline at 202-625-3333.
- Houston Community College-Central grad Posey receives scholarship
- Houston Academy for International Studies student earns National Security Language Initiative schola
- Houston Police Department collision call log, May 5
- Houston Police Department collision call log, May 4
- City presents seven with Star Citizen award
Local Advertising by PaperG