Meet Houston Zoo's elephant herd at open house
An Elephant Open House will take place from 8-10:30 a.m. on Saturday, May 19, at the Houston Zoo, 6200 Hermann Park Drive.
Attendee's are invited to tour the elephant barn at the McNair Asian Elephant Habitat, the home of Me-Thai, Tess, Tucker, Shanti, Baylor, Thai and Tupelo, the Houston Zoo's Asian elephant herd. Visitors will meet the elephants and their keepers, and learn about the animals' diet, training and general care.
Capacity is limited. Tickets for the event cost $65 for nonmembers or $55 for zoo members and include a continental breakfast. Children younger than 2 can enter for free.
The morning's Pachyderm Picasso raffle will offer a chance to win a piece of art painted by one of McNair's residents for $5 a ticket. For $25, attendees can have their picture taken with Me-Thai, the matriarch of the herd. All proceeds from the event will benefit elephant care.
For more information about this event or to purchase tickets, visit www.houstonzoo.org/elephant-open-house or call 713-533-6717 between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m.
- Houston Community College-Central grad Posey receives scholarship
- Houston ISD Elementary School's lunch menu, May 20-24
- Houston Academy for International Studies student earns National Security Language Initiative schola
- Houston ISD Middle School's lunch menu, May 20-24
- Houston ISD Elementary School's breakfast menu, May 20-24
Local Advertising by PaperG